Validas Tool Qualification Services
Validas offers services for the following tool qualification activities:
- Tool Chain Analysis
- Construction of Tool Qualification Kits
- Application of Tool Qualification Kits
Our services range from doing the complete work until a coaching or review for our clients and conform to the main safety standards like ISO 26262, IEC 61508, EN 50128 and DO-178C / DO-330 (TQL-4).
Tool Chain Analysis: Classification of Tools in Tool Chains
The tool chain analysis defines a given tool chain by defining its tools, use-cases, features and artifacts that connect the tools. An analysis model allows tools determine the required confidence in the tools.
Tool chain analyis provides the following benefits:
- Documentation of the tool chain,
- Analysis of tool chains, for example to determine the effects of new tools, use-cases or new artifacts,
- Optimization of costs for tools, qualification and application of the tools in the tool chains,
- Reusability of tools and features in new tool chains and
- Determination of the required confidence into tools and used features.
Validas has analyzed and classified several tool chains.
Validas classifies the tools in the INCHRON Tool Suite together with interested users to identify the relevant features for tool qualification.
Construction of Tool Qualification Kits
A tool qualification kit shows that the tool has the required confidence. Using qualified tools in a tool chain reduces the effort for detecting errors in tools and improves the development quality.
We construct model-based qualification kits that offer a high degree of flexibility for the integration into different tool chains. Refining the tool chain analysis model allows to qualify only the critical features and errors of the tools. The Validas qualification kits contain the following elements:
- Qualification Kit User Manual,
- Qualification Model with tool features, potential errors, mitigations and tests,
- Qualification test cases,
- Test Automation Unit,
- Templates for qualification documents: Tool Classification Report, Tool Qualification Plan, Tool Safety Manual,
- Qualification Support Tool that guides through the qualification process and generates the documents based on the selections of the user and
- Qualification Support from Validas AG including explanation of processes, coaching, review of results, etc.
We cooperate with tool providers and TÜV during the construction of qualification kits. Our services include coaching, building of qualification kits, validation and construction of test cases.
Validas has significantly contributed in the development of qualification kits for many tool users and tool providers, including:
- Texas Instruments C/C++ Compiler
- Testwell CTC++
- TraceTronic ECU-TEST
- Dassault Systèmes Reqtify
- Altera Nios II development tool chain
- Hightec Development Platform
Application of Tool Qualification Kits
The application of tool qualification kits increases the confidence into the qualified tool. The results are a tool qualification report that contains the tools errors with mitigation proposals for the mitigation (detection/prevention) of the found errors and a tool safety manual. This allows to use the tool in a well-defined and confident way.
During the application of the qualification kit we create the following documents:
- Tool Qualification Plan,
- Test Plan,
- Test Report,
- Tool Qualification Report and
- Tool Safety Manual.
Validas has qualified several tools like code generators, test tools and compilers for many diferent tool users.
Tool Chain Analyzer
For the above service we often use a model-based approach that provides high flexibility, reusability and systematic processes. Furthermore the tool generates the required tool qualification documents.
The free version of tool can be found in TCA.